On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 11:51:04 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 09:57:49 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Is anyone else having this problem?
>
> I can't answer for everyone, but I'm not.

I was sure I'd have heard all about it if anyone had been, but it was worth
asking anyway.

I would suspect hardware, but this is all I have to go on:
1.      Smartd has been running regular tests on this NVMe disk and not
reported anything.
2.      I've now changed the partition layout to ensure I was using new
silicon; I shrank the /boot partition from 2G to 0.5G, so all the other
partitions started 1.5G earlier on the disk.
3.      During all the reloading from an external drive I found a suspect USB
port. I also noticed the UEFI startup process flickering the cursor around
the screen before displaying the list of kernels. I haven't used that USB
port since, and the flickering has subsided.
4.      I can't imagine it's a memory failure because of the repeatability of
the problems.

So, things it isn't: memory, disk, power supply, software (identical USE
etc. to before the problem appeared) - anything that would cause random
errors.

The only other thing I can think of to do is to combine the first two
partitions into one: that is, the empty partition for the UEFI and the VFAT
/boot. You can see, though, that I'm reduced to clutching at straws.

--
Regards,
Peter.