I got the job to admin a gentoo server that was configured and setup by a former admin.

No surprise that it is outdated ...

It runs with profile "hardened/linux/amd64" and kernel 4.1.15-gentoo-r1

That kernel does not have the necessary flags enabled to support EXT4 ACLs ...

At first I emerged latest stable gentoo-sources, enabled these flags and compiled ... but the lpfc module didn't detect the SAN devices correctly, so I switched back to 4.1.15 (mark this as another todo here ... sooner or later I want a more recent kernel working with lpfc ... I have no clue about multipath so far)

-

Right now I always get this when I run "make bzImage" (

# make bzImage
  CHK     include/config/kernel.release
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CC      kernel/bounds.s
kernel/bounds.c:1:0: error: code model kernel does not support PIC mode
 /*

make[1]: *** [Kbuild:44: kernel/bounds.s] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:990: prepare0] Error 2

Why?
Because the gcc has flags enabled?

I googled but klibc-related stuff doesn't seem to apply here.

I am not insisting on hardened profile but want to avoid bigger issues when switching profiles without thinking ...

-

Basically I only need:

CONFIG_EXT4_FS_SECURITY=y
CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL=y

in my kernel ;-)

But this leads into these new areas of learning ...

greets, Stefan