Hi Grant,

On 2018-09-17 20:10, Grant Edwards wrote:
I recently noticed that "emerge --search" stopped working correctly. It now returns all sorts of packages that don't match the search sting:

$ emerge --search wxpython | grep '^[^\t ]'

[ Results for search key : wxpython ]
Searching...
*  dev-lang/python
*  dev-python/bpython
*  dev-python/ipython
*  dev-python/pythong [ Masked ]
*  dev-python/twython
*  dev-python/vpython [ Masked ]
*  dev-python/wxpython
[ Applications found : 7 ]

Why is it returning packges that don't match what I'm searching for?

Shouldn't only the last of the ones shown above be returned?

the culprit is --fuzzy-search. The manual states: "This option is enabled by default".

Try the following:

$ emerge --fuzzy-search=n --search wxpython | grep '^[^\t ]'
[ Results for search key : wxpython ]
Searching...
*  dev-python/wxpython
[ Applications found : 1 ]

I don't use --search (eix is my friend), but if you are certain that this behavior is new to you, then this new default must be introduced only recently.

--
Kind regards

Flo