On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 02:25:50PM +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have set MAKEOPTS="-j3" in my make.conf.

  I assume you have 2 cores on your cpu and you're adding 1 as per the
ancient rule.  That may not be the best option anyways.  See
https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2013/01/14/makeopts-jcore-1-is-not-the-best-optimization/
The author of the blog post ran multiple tests, and concluded that
setting MAKEOPTS -j to the actual number of cores is slightly faster.
Years ago, the gcc compiler was less efficient, and adding 1 to -j did
improve compilation speed.  That is apparently not the case today.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>