Hi,

I am really bad in setting up internet/networks and that sort of thing, and I am having problems connecting to any of the ftp-servers for updating gentoo.
What do you think the problem could be the problem, when it is possible to sync portage, yet not possible to emerge anything.
Also, stuff like xchat or the p2p software does not work at all.
I tried to set up the modem/router properly (but in my case that does not mean much :) ) trying out different settings with port forwarding and access controls, yet no joy..
I dunno really where to turn to, maybe one of you out there can give a hint? I have had problems once, related to dns  but I don't know if that could be the problem. the other, website-base stuff works fine (just the sites).
 thanks,

Karstn