Have you tried the alternative method described here:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Non_root_Xorg

Nope. It seems that the method I mentioned was somehow the first method
described in the Wiki.

I am wondering what are the differences between the two? Which one is
better?

The alternative method is definitly more secure for systems with multiple user accounts. I believe the xorg ebuild should install the binary with this sgid bit set, or provide a use flag for it. In the meantime, since my system is mono-user and I don't want to bother remembering to change the flag when xorg is reinstalled, I keep my user in the input group.

--
Hervé