On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 10:51 PM Andrew Lowe <a...@wht.com.au> wrote:

> Dear all,
>         In the past I had a non UEFI motherboard setup for my Gentoo
machine.
> The motherboard started failing so I took the opportunity to replace the
> motherboard & CPU and also to buy a new SSD thingy to become the home of
> my Gentoo install.
>
>         I'm currently running, on a day to day  basis, the older hard
disk, on
> the new motherboard, but want to speed up the process of getting the new
> SSD set up so I can swap over. Rather than booting into the SSD,
> starting an emerge, and walking away, in other words, making my machine
> useless for any number of hours, am I correct that there is no problem,
> vis a vis, old hard disk built on non UEFI machine Vs new SSD built on
> UEFI machine, of chrooting[1] from the old environment into new
> environment and doing the building whilst I"m doing something productive
> within the old environment?
>
>         I just have this little niggling doubt, probably baseless, in the
back
> of my mind that there maybe something that may cause a problem for the
> newly built stuff due to it not being natively booted in UEFI or
> something like that when it was built.
>
>         Anyone built their new machines like this who can allay my,
probably
> baseless, fears?

I've done this exact same scenario two or three times by now. However, I
don't recompile anything, I just rsync the old drive into the new one, and
then I chroot (or, more often, I systemd-nspawn) into it and update the old
configuration where necesary. Unless you change from Intel to AMD it should
be fine (and even then it could be fine, depending on your CFLAGS).

Also, have a live USB around to boot into it for emergencies.

Regards.
--
Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de Carrera Asociado C