On December 3, 2018 11:32:46 PM Jack <ostrof...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

On 2018.12.03 11:27, Pouru Lasse wrote:
I've got a bunch of scratched disc-based games (PS2, Xbox 360) that
I'd
like to check for errors. Is there any program for Linux that does
this?
I found and tried dvdisaster, but it only works for CDs, not
DVDs. Everything else seems to be Windows-only.

I have not installed dvdisaster, but I'd be really surprised if it
won't check dvd's.  The ebuild description is "Tool for creating error
correction data (ecc) for optical media (DVD, CD, BD)" so if it really
balks at a dvd, I'd file a bug.

Also - what is your criteria for finding an error?  Could you just read
the entire disk or copy to /dev/null and just look for any read
errors?  (I'm not sure if I'd try cp or dd or some variant on dd.)

Jack

Not so much just for verification, but I'd also check out ddrescue. If the tool dumps your media easily, it's probably good. If it struggles, you may at least still have a workable image by the time it is done.

IIRC, some game discs may also throw a curve-ball here: they had intentional errors introduced near the end of the disc to prevent image dumping for copy protection. I'm sure I ran across a ps2 game or two like this.

-d