On 12/07/2018 06:47 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 07/12/2018 09:30, Dale wrote:
>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>> If you want to see all of the installed packages that are affected,
>>> you need to set CPU_FLAGS_X86 to an empty string:
>>>
>>>    CPU_FLAGS_X86=""
>>>
>>> and then do "emerge -puDN --with-bdeps=y @world". This is because
>>> CPU_FLAGS_X86 is not empty by default. It contains sse and sse2 by
>>> default, because these are supported by all 64-bit CPUs.
>>>

>> What I did, I commented out the whole line and ran it that way.
>
> If you comment it out, it will have default values. If you set it to an
> empty string, you should be able to see which packages make use of the
> default flags (like sse and sse2.)
>
> Note it's a pretend emerge (-p). Just to check which packages you have
> installed that make use of these flags.
>

>> One last question for anyone who has done this recently.  When finished,
>> I'll have a FX-8350 CPU with 8 cores at 4.0/4.2GHz, 32GBs of memory all
>> on a Gigabyte 970 series mobo.  Would there be any point in upgrading to
>> a whole new rig or is what I have about as fast is reasonable to build?
>> I don't do gaming or anything.  Even the GTX 650 video card is likely
>> overkill for what I do here.  The older 200 series card is working just
>> fine.  On one hand, my current build is several years old.  On the
>> other, computers seem to have reached their peak.  I'm sure there is
>> more powerful systems out there but would I be any better off with one?

Since the AM3+ and its C32/G34 Opteron counterparts are the last and
best x86 cpus without ME/PSP I would say you are better off with what
you have - the best piledriver cpus like the FX-8350+ are still able to
play the latest games and in a VM via IOMMU-GFX if you want.

In any case I would consider a OpenPOWER (ppc64/ppc64le) arch system
(like the blackbird or talos 2) as an upgrade path instead of any futher
x86 stuff as there aren't any black boxes, there is
documentation+firmware sources and the cpus are made in usa.