Have you checked the power supply?

I don't use a diskless setup but last year (nah, maybe many years ago) I
had this strange resume problem after suspend. As in, I'd wake the
machine and it'd sit there with a blinking text cursor in text mode,
quite stuck. I am pretty sure I posted about it on the list here.

It turned out that when my machine was running the power supply was
fine. However, when I suspended it, the 5V rail would bleed voltage. So,
I discovered if I resumed within, say, 5 minutes after suspending my
machine it would wake normally. After that though, I'd get the blinking
cursor and it would hang resuming.

I confirmed that the 5V rail was bleeding voltage when in suspend with
my voltmeter. It turned out to be bad capacitors in the power supply.

Just a suggestion...

Dan

I appreciate the tip, if I boot off a hard drive on my main desktop it does
indeed sleep/resume just fine, and it was the source of every file that got
sent to the network when I started converting to diskless,  maybe I'll throw in
small livedvd install and check again.

If it helps, when I'm in LXDE and have just a terminal open with top running,
when the screen comes back on, top will update just ONCE before freezing, I can
move the mouse cursor, num lock toggles, I can drag the terminal window around,
if I try to switch vt2 or anything else like load a previously uncached menu
from the taskbar then it never loads or switches.  So it's definately (to my
eyes at least) I problem with the nfs connection, I don't believe the NIC is
powering down as I turned on wake on lan, but I'll test and make sure tonight,
and aside from blacklisting kernel modules I have yet to find a way to tweak
the resume/suspend functions but I'm still looking for more information when I
have free time.