On 2019-01-17, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any documentation on how to do a basic minimal grub:2
> install?
>
> I really don't want any of the auto-magical, devs know better than I
> do what I want, os-probing, hide all the details from the stupid user,
> config file generator stuff installed.  I just want the bare minimum
> required to boot using a hand-edited grub.conf file.

Perhaps I'm a bit too jaded from my experiences with grub2 on other
distros.  It's sort of implied at
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start#Manual_configuration
that if you want, you can just manually edit grub.conf and not use
grub-mkconfig.

Do all the Gentoo package maintainers promise they'll never run
grub-mkconfig as part of a any package (even grub:2) install, remove,
or update?

Other distros seem to have calls to grub-mkconfig sprinkled around in
various other package install scripts so that you've got to manually
hobble grub-mkconfig so that it doesn't trash your grub.conf file
without asking because some other package got updated or installed.
But then the next time grub2 gets updated, it get's un-hobbled and
goes ahead and trashes your grub.conf file.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! The Korean War must
                                  at               have been fun.