On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 14:59 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 10/21/05, Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 11:25 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > > I cannot explain it, other than to say I'd probably do the following
> > > if this was my box:
> > >
> > > 1) ls -al /lib/modules  and ensure that there is only
> > > /lib/modules/2.6.13-gentoo-r3
> > >
> > > 2) rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.13-gentoo-r3  to completely remove all the
> > > existing modules.
> > >
> > > 3) cd /usr/src/linux
> > >
> > > 4) make clean
> > >
> > > 5) make && make modules_install
> > >
> > > 6) Copy over the new kernel, check that /lib/modules has the new
> > > modules, then reboot and test again.
> > >
> > > My real suspicion here is that 2.6.14-gentoo-r3 doesn't actually have
> > > support for this card, or that the card is not well supported at all.
> > > Using Google I get very few results for snd_intel_hda
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mark
> > >

> > OK.  Now that  I've replaced the modules I can modprobe my sound card,
> > but not I'm back to the problem of unmuting it.  Does alsamixer keep
> > detailed logs anywhere, or is there a means to unmute my card that
> > doesn't rely on alsamixer and does keep logs?
> >
> Michael,
>    Please clarify. Are you sating that the set of actions outlined
> above worked? That would be a good step forward. Congrats.

Yes.  I can modprobe the card.

>    OK, as for unmuting the card, some cards work with alsamixer. Many do not.
>
>    Can you provide the output of lsmod. I'd very much like to see the
> drivers that are loaded.

camille ~ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_pcm_oss            36064  0
snd_mixer_oss          12256  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_oss            21216  0
snd_seq_midi_event      2976  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                30384  4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          4588  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_hda_intel          10496  3
snd_hda_codec          57152  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm                49928  4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              14404  3 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    28644  13
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc          6248  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
nfs                    73516  2
ipv6                  177344  8
nfsd                   74536  9
lockd                  44168  3 nfs,nfsd
sunrpc                 95556  14 nfs,nfsd,lockd
parport_pc             27140  0
parport                21160  1 parport_pc
floppy                 44180  0
rtc                     7864  0
i2c_i801                5804  0
i2c_core               10896  1 i2c_i801
evdev                   6368  0
e100                   24672  0
mii                     2688  1 e100
dm_mirror              14004  0
dm_mod                 36700  1 dm_mirror
ata_piix                6052  2
ahci                    7908  0
sata_qstor              6084  0
sata_vsc                4932  0
sata_uli                4352  0
sata_sis                4224  0
sata_sx4                9540  0
sata_nv                 5636  0
sata_via                5380  0
sata_svw                4644  0
sata_sil                5892  0
sata_promise            6948  0
libata                 27428  12
ata_piix,ahci,sata_qstor,sata_vsc,sata_uli,sata_sis,sata_sx4,sata_nv,sata_via,sata_svw,sata_sil,sata_promise
sbp2                   16648  0
ohci1394               25620  0
ieee1394               57272  2 sbp2,ohci1394
sl811_hcd               8640  0
ohci_hcd               14372  0
uhci_hcd               23984  0
usb_storage            43648  0
usbhid                 25760  0
ehci_hcd               21992  0
usbcore                74652  7
sl811_hcd,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd,usb_storage,usbhid,ehci_hcd

>    As you have been through the ringer on this one I suggest the following:
>
> 1) rm /etc/asound.state      This gets rid of old settings and allows
> you to store clean stuff.

/etc/asound.state didn't exist, so I couldn't delete it.

> 2) Run alsamixer and let us know what it says.

camille ~ # alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument

> If alsamixer doesn't
> work then you may need to run amixer at the command line to unmute
> your card. I'll let you slog through the man page on that one. amixer
> commands can be placed in /etc/conf.d/local.start if needed. For
> instance, possibly
>
> amixer -c 0 unmute

camille ~ # amixer -c 0 unmute
amixer: Unknown command 'unmute'...

> NOTE: This will only work if the card is listed under /proc/asound/cards.

camille ~ # cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                     HDA Intel at 0xffac0000 irq 11