Thanks to Mike and John for all their help.  I learned a lot.

I was able to change my lilo.conf and fstab from the
/dev/scsi/hostW/busX/targetY/lunZ/* scheme to /dev/sdaX instead, and
my 2.4 kernel came back up no problem.  (I wish I could remeber what
forced me into using the /dev/scsi scheme in the first place, but oh
well.)

With that change 2.6 came up as well.

Thanks Again!

Ian