Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:

On Friday 21 October 2005 22:13, Jeff Smelser wrote:
On Friday 21 October 2005 02:24 pm, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
what do you mean 'crashed'?

does revdep-rebuilt still works?

but at least now you know why you should not use --deep.
Why not? I use it here and I never get crashes.. One doesnt mean the other.

because some apps (like, for example xine) doesn't like it, when some of their dependencies get upgraded with a --deep world (like ffmpeg or transcode), while themselves are not recombiled.

xine will not crash - but some video-filters will be gone.

It is just not wise:
App X linked against library L.
Now you do an --update --deep world.
lib L gets a new version L.1.1.
But X does not recompiled, and funny things can happen now.

revdep-rebuild

-Richard