On Wednesday, 29 May 2019 23:23:58 BST Dale wrote:
> n952...@web.de wrote:
> > And, what are the consequences that I'm suffering, that I haven't done
> > that before, for over a year?>
> >> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 29. Mai 2019 um 23:55 Uhr
> >> Von: n952...@web.de
> >> An: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> >> Betreff: updating /etc/package.accept_keywords
> >>
> >> I have many files like ._cfg0000_package.accept_keywords.
> >> Is the right way to handle this to do something like:
> >>
> >> sort -u ._cfg????_package.accept_keywords >| package.accept_keywords
>
> Look into etc-update, dispatch-conf and other commands that help with
> updating those.  I admit, I'm bad to let them sit to because I usually
> manually update important stuff.  I don't wait that long tho.  Keep in
> mind, there is a small chance that a bad config could result in
> something not working when you reboot or not being able to completely
> boot at all.  It depends on what files are not updated.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I always run etc-update or dispatch-conf to see what the changes in default
config files may be and invariably accept or merge the changes with my version
of the config files each time.  If I am in a rush and the changes are not
trivial, I will leave this for a day in the near future and avoid restarting
the service affected.  However, I would not leave a remote server in this
state in case an unintended reboot causes some critical service to fail to
restart, e.g. network, sshd, etc.

--
Regards,
Mick