On Friday, 31 May 2019 15:20:01 BST Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 6:02 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Given that is going to involve quite a bit of changes, and it appears
> > the OP has a outdated system, going in steps may be a good idea.  At
> > least that way if something breaks, it may be easier to fix since the
> > steps are smaller.
>
> ++
>
> I would never attempt a profile change unless I had a system running
> on a repo that was completely up to date, with no pending updates.
> That is, if you run emerge --sync and emerge -uD world nothing happens
> (well, aside from the random one package that just happened to
> change).
[snip ...]

If I were to install a new system presently and wanted to go straight to a
17.1 profile, is there some particular stage tarball I could/should be
downloading to by-pass all this lib (un)linkage goodness?

In the same vane I wonder if the OP's problems would be resolved by a
reinstall of Gentoo, while retaining the same world file and perhaps /etc?

--
Regards,
Mick