On 6/9/19 2:23 PM, Mick wrote:
I think Dale meant a later tree will contain updated packages, which may fix previous breakages and incompatibilities.

Please clarify which tree:  Kernel and / or Portage

Hypothetically, a later VBox version requires some later version libs, which your current tree is missing. A re-sync will bring these in and your next emerge will fix the problems you were having.

I don't recall what version of VirtualBox was installed. I know that it was 5.<something>. I also know that it was current 3 ~ 4 months ago (emerge --sync at the time).

It looks like 5.2.26 is now installed (possibly the same version I had). Anything newer than that (5.2.28-r1 / 5.2.30 / 6.*) is still masked by ~amd64.

Admittedly, I have experienced this more than once with various packages.

I've had bad versions come into Portage that shuffle out in a few days multiple times before. But those always failed to emerge (compile / install).

Nevertheless, your module related problems are more obscure/involved. A dev should have a better idea as to what might be causing this.

ACK

I'll need to refresh my account to post to the forums.