On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 08:16:47 -0400,
Jack wrote:

> On 6/13/19 5:47 AM, John Covici wrote:
> > Hi.  I use inn to fetch/post usenet news.  I know its no longer in the
> > tree, but I would like to keep it going.  The last version in the tree
> > 2.5.5-r1 no longer configures, so I wrote an ebuild similar to the
> > ones that used to be there which I copied to my local ebuilds for
> > 2.6.3.  This configures and compiles fine, but gets linking errors
> > where it cannot find symbol HISTLOOKUP.
>
> You need to track down where HISTLOOKUP should be coming from,
> and then why in isn't finding it, but didn't miss it at
> configure/compile.  Do "ldd /path/to/inn" to see if there is a
> library it can't find.  If it finds everything, then perhaps it
> needs a newer version of whichever dependency includes (or is
> supposed to include) that symbol.
>
> You can also compare that ldd output to "ldd
> /path/to/inn/from/tarball".  If there is any difference, then
> perhaps your ebuild is missing something in the ./configure
> command.
>
> > Now what is strange is if I just get the tarball and configure with
> > the same parameters and compile out of tree, it works fine -- at least
> > up to the point of make install.  I would like to do things in such a
> > way that portage knows its there in case there is a preserved lib or
> > something that I need to take care of.  I  could not figure what the
> > difference is as to why the ebuild does not work and my out of tree
> > compile works, so it looks like I have two choices:
> >
> > 1.  unmerge and just maintain the out of tree build or
> > 2. Leave it there and just do a make update which copies the binaries
> > over the old ones.  If I do number 2, it might be impossible to go to
> > the 17.1 profile, so I am of two minds about this.
> >
> > If anyone has any insight into this I would appreciate it very much.
> >
> > Thanks.

It looks like the symbol is in one of the libraries compiled with the
build, and this is what is so strange.  I saw a post that talked about
the order of the libraries in the link command, but it looks the same
in ebuild and the tarball build. I configured the tarball using the
configure line in the log from the ebuild, so that should be the same.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         cov...@ccs.covici.com