On 17/06/19 00:29, Grant Taylor wrote:
>> Drives are cheap. The old "swap is twice ram" rule actually isn't an
>> old wife's tale - the basic Unix swap mechanism NEEDS twice ram.
>
> No, it doesn't.  Not any more.  It hasn't for quite a while.

So you didn't read what I wrote ... Par for the course :-(

That was a *historic* statement. It's as true today as it was ten years
ago, because it's not referring to today's reality.

The basic Unix mechanism needs twice ram. It's inherent in the design of
the thing. Whether linux no longer uses the Unix mechanism, or it's had
the hell optimised out of it I don't know.

Either way, machines today get by on precious little swap - that's fine.

Historic note - the early linux 2.4 vanilla kernels enforced the twice
ram rule - a lot of people who didn't read the release notes got nasty
shocks when their machines locked up the moment they touched swap ...

And okay my machine only has 16GB of ram (and 64GB of swap - 32GB each
across two disks), but I'm pretty sure that if I followed your
guidelines, an emerge would crash my system as the tmpfs ran out of
space ...

And those people who wrote your guidelines? Are they the same clueless
people who believe the twice ram rule is pure fiction? (As I said, it is
*historical* *fact*). And why should I believe people who tell me the
rule no longer applies, if they can't tell me WHY it no longer applies?
I'd love to be enlightened - why can't anybody do that?

Cheers,
Wol