On 6/20/19 8:55 AM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
On 2019-06-20 13:30, aleiphoenix . wrote:

                 ewarn "<sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-5.2"

I didn't know about vanilla-sources.  Is there any advantage of using
this package over just downloading tarballs or patchlevel updates from
kernel.org?

That's a good question. I suppose the only benefit would be having portage manage the package. I just looked and all vanilla-sources kernels are in testing/unstable.

I would think the only advantage is you wouldn't have to worry about portage removing kernel sources you're using. (As they could not be reinstallable if the package has been removed from the tree.)

Dan