and
rattus ~ # esearch x11-terms/rxvt-unicode
[ Results for search key : x11-terms/rxvt-unicode ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  x11-terms/rxvt-unicode
      Latest version available: 9.21
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 903 kB
      Homepage:    http://software.schmorp.de/pkg/rxvt-unicode.html
      License:     GPL-3

rattus ~ #

its less a search than a database lookup like the locate command so its
very fast

rattus ~ # esearch app-portage/esearch
[ Results for search key : app-portage/esearch ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  app-portage/esearch
      Latest version available: 1.3-r2
      Latest version installed: 1.3-r2