On Monday, 24 June 2019 12:31:26 BST Mick wrote:
> On Monday, 24 June 2019 12:17:51 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 12:00:36 +0100, Mick wrote:
> > > Could someone more knowledgeable in  Plasma/KDE shenanigans please
> > > explain how I can end up with a workable USB wireless dongle, which I
> > > can enable/disable at will?
> >
> > Set USE="-wireless" for powerdevil
> >
> > I have KDE on this laptop, with no NM. The wireless connection is managed
> > by systemd-networkd here, but the same should be possible with openrc and
> > no NM.
>
> Excellent!  This is what I was looking for.  Thank you Neil.  :-)

I can attest to the fact powerdevil with its devilish tentacles which dragged
in NetworkManager was the cause of my problems, plus KDE's default setting:

 'Enable bluetooth integration'

was causing all this obex race by dbus.  Now I have a 'normal' system to work
with.  :-)

The only thing I noticed after I disabled the wifi, rfkilled it and pulled the
USB dongle was this entry in the logs:

Jun 24 18:23:51 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 3
Jun 24 18:23:53 localhost /etc/init.d/net.wlp0s18f2u1[5619]: net.wlp0s18f2u1:
not allowed to be hotplugged
Jun 24 18:23:53 localhost dhcpcd[3208]: wlp0s18f2u1: removing interface

I'm not sure of its meaning ...

Is openrc angry with me for unplugging the by definition pluggable and already
disabled USB device?  :-/

--
Regards,

Mick