On 7/10/19 7:03 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
Here is my next "low information" question, haha.

I use i3lock which is like Xscreensaver but much much simpler; it plays
no movies or games, just blanks the screen with a configured color or
image.  To unlock it you have to type your password.

It bothers me that even when i3lock has locked the X session, I can
still switch to other Linux virtual consoles with Alt-Control-F<n> ,
without typing the password.  It so happens that on one of the other
virtual consoles there is often an interactive root shell :-P

So, is it possible to prevent virtual console switching while the X
screen is locked, but still allow it at other times?  Looks like
something the locker program would have to do, not the X server; but
again I don't know much about this stuff.

Not a direct answer to your question, but as a workaround you can use tmux sessions, and simply detach them and logout when you lock your computer.

Also, if this is just a shell to start the X server, you can launch it as "startx & bg; disown" and then logout.