On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 11:25 AM Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2019-07-25, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > All the examples I can find of people using root=PARTUUID=<> show the
> > longer PARTUUID values you get with a GPT parition table.  Does the
> > root=PARTUUID=<> mechanism only work with GPT and not with DOS
> > parition tables?
>
> The comments in the kernel source certinaly indicate that DOS PARTUUID
> values should work.  From init/do_mounts.c:
>
> /*
>  *      Convert a name into device number.  We accept the following variants:
> [...]
>  *      6) PARTUUID=00112233-4455-6677-8899-AABBCCDDEEFF representing the
>  *         unique id of a partition if the partition table provides it.
>  *         The UUID may be either an EFI/GPT UUID, or refer to an MSDOS
>  *         partition using the format SSSSSSSS-PP, where SSSSSSSS is a zero-
>  *         filled hex representation of the 32-bit "NT disk signature", and PP
>  *         is a zero-filled hex representation of the 1-based partition
> number.
>  [...]
>
> I've also tried just passing root=/dev/sdb1 (which in the current
> setup is consistently the device the root partition shows up on).
> That doesn't work either and I'm begining to suspect that the kernel
> simply isn't recognizing the USB storage device at all.
>
> I wish I could figure out how to get scrollback to work so I could see
> all of the kernel messages before the panic...

Do you have all the necessary USB drivers compiled into the kernel?
Check to make sure the following options are "y".

CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD -- USB 2.0
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD -- USB 1.0 (non-Intel)
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD -- USB 1.0 (Intel)
CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD -- USB 3.0

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD