On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 15:03 -0400, Matt Randolph wrote:
> Michael Sullivan wrote:

> >>I'm really hesitant to mention this one, but others have done it and
> >>so have I oncce or twice. Are you sure you have the speakers plugged
> >>into the right output from the motherboard? Normally it's the green
> >>one in the middle.
> >>
> >>Also, there was a time when the Intel 810 was senting output out on
> >>some other plug on a couple of machines. Try the headphone output plug
> >>as well as the speaker output plug.
> >>
> >>- Mark
> >>

> >I have my speakers plugged into the headphone jack on the front of the
> >case.  That's the only way I could get sound out of them in Windows XP.
> >

> The headphone jack on the front of the case?  First of all, make sure
> that this is not the headphone jack on the front of the CD-ROM drive.

The cd-rom drive is at the top of the case.  The headphone jack my
speakers are plugged into is at the bottom of the case.

> If this is actually just an alternate front panel jack you should still
> try using the standard jack on the rear of the machine.  What if there
> was something wrong with the front panel lead or jacks?  If you couldn't
> get sound out of your machine under Windows through the regular
> speaker-out or line-out jacks, and you could only get sound out of this
> front panel connector, then either you have a serious hardware problem
> with the card or you installed the front panel lead improperly.

I think I just plugged the speakers into the wrong jack in the back.
Besides, it's a lot more convenient for me this way.
> On my
> newer machines, the front panel lead connects to the appropriate pins on
> the motherboard not once, but twice.  The second connection serves as a
> jumper to enable the front panel connectors to work as well as the rear
> panel connectors.  Check your motherboard manual to be sure that you
> have things wired up correctly.  It sounds like you don't.

I don't have a motherboard manual for this machine.
> If
> everything IS wired up correctly and both problems still persist (the
> Windows one and the ALSA one), then I'd urge you to run out and buy a
> new card.

It would cost more than I can afford to replace the card.  I would have
to pay for the new sound card, and then for someone to install it.  I
don't go inside the case anymore.  I'd rather have a working computer
(although mute in Linux) than a dead computer because I tried to fix the
hardware.