On 2019-09-11, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This morning the build of gdb failed during a routine update:
>   CXX    xml-tdesc.o
>   CXX    init.o
>   CXXLD  gdb
> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/8.3.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
>  tui/tui-win.o: undefined reference to symbol 'keypad'
> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/8.3.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
>  /lib64/libtinfo.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
> make[2]: *** [Makefile:1893: gdb] Error 1

You can no longer install gdb if you have sys-libs/libtermcap-compat
installed.

If you have libtermcap installed, the gdb ebuild will decide to link
against libtermcap instead of libtinfo, and you get the failure above.

However, uninstalling libtermcap proved to be difficult.  After
unmerging it, I got the expected warnings about preserved libs, but
doing the emerge as recommended faild.  I tried revdep-rebuild, and it
insisted on emerging the same packages over and over again — each time
resulting in files that still depended on the preserved termcap
libraries.

I finally had to unmerge a bunch of packages that were using the
termcap libraries, manually remove the termcap libraries, and then run
revdep-rebuild to try to repair things.

Now gdb builds again.

Hopefully, I'll be able to reinstall the packages I removed...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! INSIDE, I have the
                                  at               same personality disorder