On Sunday 23 October 2005 00:18, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Still something to learn I guess. my poppasswd file is still the example
> file that came with whatever it came with. My pop accounts are
> authenticated via the regular linux logins, so for every pop user (3 at
> the moment) I have a user acount in linux.

Good good.

> What package uses this poppasswd file?

cmd5checkpw, and anything else which does CRAM MD5 authentication at a guess.
CRAM is done by sending a hash of the password over the wire, the salt is
unique for each connection, so you need the plain text password on the server
to check against, which are kept in poppasswd.
Secure over the wire, hideously insecure on the server.

> I tried qpkg, but that doesn't seem to exist any more?

Yeah, it got moved to another package as it's depreciated in favour of equery.

> Does the above mean I can safely enable noauthcram?

Yes.

--
Mike Williams