Right. After spending most of the last 10 days and some nights wrestling with
the beast, I've got it fixed at last.

The Gentoo Handbook says to create a small unformatted partition at the
beginning of the (primary?) disk, then to create a FAT-32 partition for /boot,
then whatever other partitions are required.

Neil said above that he doesn't do that; he omits the unformatted partition,
and I believe that's quite popular. I tried following the same scheme, but
that's what caused the difficulties I started this thread with: on this system
I need both those partitions. The system will not boot without both of them.
[1]

The screen-shot of gparted I posted above shows the current layout once again.

The handbook's description of partition creation on a UEFI system says to set
the bios_grub flag on partition 1 and the boot flag on partition 2. I tried
setting them both on the combined partition I was trying to get working, but
the second one to be set cleared the first one, or else it just hid it from
display. Either way, no boot.

I found several other apparently authoritative pages detailing other /boot
directory structures and file names; guessing which of them might work in any
given case is not straightforward. Googling for "Gentoo EFI" or similar
returns a list of them.

For the record, this motherboard is an Asus X99-A, with UEFI BIOS 2.16.1242.

It's interesting that, whenever the system failed to boot (and that often
happened without showing me the boot selection menu) apparently the BIOS
started the kernel stored in its data area, but it didn't find /boot/loader/
with its config files, so it didn't know where to look for the real kernel
image.

I still don't know what started this whole adventure (to coin a phrase); my
DVI KVM switch came under suspicion at one stage, so I'll keep a wary eye on
it.

One remaining question: does it matter what kernel image is stored in UEFI
data? I'm tempted to think not: it just has to get the initial boot step
started. After that, /sbin/init "pivots" (whatever that means) to the real
kernel under /boot.

1.   I remember, dimly, that while commissioning this machine from new, I had
trouble installing and running grub:2. I knew even less about UEFI systems
then, so if I were to try it again now I might find a way. But I hate the damn
thing, so as long as I don't need it it's not getting near my machines.

--
Regards,
Peter.