On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 18:01:01 +0100, Mick wrote:

> Now, in a gentoo scenario, say a mammoth compile like Chromium, with a
> large count of jobs specified for it, you could end up swapping part or
> all of one or more jobs into memory, only to swap it out again in order
> to process it. The compile keeps swapping in and out a job at a time in
> order to carry on compiling.  The disk thrashing is now continuous and
> indeed interacting with your desktop will be painful - potentially
> waiting for minutes at a time before an application responds.  The way
> out of this bottleneck is to either increase your RAM, or minimise the
> use of memory by reducing the job count in MAKEOPTS.  Shutting down
> desktop applications and login out of any desktop sessions to release
> RAM will also help.
>
> On a laptop with 4G RAM compiling Chromium is quite challenging when
> even a single gcc job could grow to 3G or more.  Swapping and a disk
> I/O bottleneck becomes unavoidable and moving the compile of binaries
> to a bigger PC becomes a rather wise solution.

That's why I have Chromium, as well and LO and qtwebengine, set to use my
SSD for PORTAGE_TMPDIR on this laptop, which is limited to 8GB. MAKEOPTS
is also constricted for Chromium. As a result, the packages build more
quickly with minimal impact on using the system.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 3: Working vacation