On Tuesday, 5 November 2019 21:44:51 GMT n952162 wrote:
> I then tried to repeat this process, to see if I could get libcap
> installed and so get further with virtualbox, but for some reason, my
> other computer - although it also has virtualbox installed, has
> libcap-2.24*-r2*.ebuild instead of libcap-2.24.ebuild and worse, a
> libcap-2.*25*.tar.xz !!!  Ebuild on the crashed machine isn't taking it.

If the two PCs have different arc/CPU/CFLAGS etc. some things won't work just
by copying them over.

Once you finished with your fsck, it would probably be better to boot a known
good kernel and tool-chain, a.k.a. a LiveUSB/DVD, chroot into your damaged
system, re-sync portage and rebuild world.  Otherwise, you'll be fighting this
war a battle at a time, not knowing what corrupt/missing file you'll come
across next.

--
Regards,
Mick