On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 5:35 PM Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 16:47:35 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
>
> > > There's no need to mess around adding and removing masks, just use
> > > the -
> > > - exclude option.
> > >
> > > Yep!  For some reason, that option doesn’t always occur to me, but
> > > that’s clearly a simpler way to do it.  Thanks for reminding me!
> > >
> > Couldn't you just have a script that "emerge --update"s each package in
> > sequence? If the package isn't due for update nothing will happen. And
> > then you could follow that with an "emerge world" knowing that your hogs
> > are already done.
>
> Sometimes the packages are rebuilt without an update, especially if you
> use --changed-use or --changed-deps, so it's not quite that simple.

But still pretty simple.  I’ve just used the “build in sequence” idea for
an update that forced a libreoffice rebuild.  It first upgraded a few of
libreoffice’s dependencies in parallel, and then rebuilt libreoffice by
itself afterwards. A subsequent emerge @world upgraded a bunch of minor kde
stuff.  I like this idea - seems to isolate the “hogs” so they build one at
a time, and it does so without any intervention on my part.  Thanks!

John Blinka