On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 14:55:48 +0100, n952162 wrote:

> I've made a new recognition about this issue.   If I move
> /lib/modules/4.19.72-gentoo to a saved/ subdirectory, and otherwise have
> NO modules directory, I don't have this problem. When I move the modules
> directory back into place, the problem returns.
>
> I'm not understanding how the system can run without a modules
> directory.

As long as everything your system *needs* to run is built into the
kernel, this will work, but things will fail when modules are needed.

> As an example, I looked at a module that was easy to spell, fuse.ko, ;-)
> and looked where else on the system it exists, and found a copy in
> /usr/src.  The files have the same file(1) response (both non-stripped,
> with the same build id), but different lengths.  I didn't see anything
> in /var/log like, "falling back to /usr/src/..."

When you run make in /usr/src/linux, the modules are built there. When
you run "make modules_install", they are copied to /lib/modules/version/
The kernel only look in /lib/modules/version

> When the modules directory is present (/lib/modules/4.19.72-gentoo/), I
> have a lot more problems than just the power problem.  For example, X
> comes up but eventually locks up.  With NO modules subdirectory, X works
> okay.

So you have a misbehaving module, or faulty hardware that uses a module.
All you need to do now is work out which one it is ;-)

--
Neil Bothwick

Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.