On 1/12/20 3:51 PM, n952162 wrote:
While installing gentoo from scratch, after doing a "emerge --sync", the command:

eselect profile list

fails because it can't get any profiles, and I see that the 17.1 profile is in a .tmp-unverified-download-quarantine.

 1. what do I have to do to get this going again?
 2. how did I end up in this situation?� Is this a known bug.� I simply
    followed the handbook.

Some folks on this list will not like the advise I give; caveat emptor my friend.

So, I install and give away many old system so folks can first learn about gentoo, with a working baseline. my latest one, is for a savant EE, that just hates W. I have not seen him for a very long time. He asked for one, and I could not say no. Gentoo is all I recommend as I've pretty much tried many other linux distros; most give me heartburn for a myriad of reasons.

I also install and re-install, as many of the gentoo systems get "attacked" before I can complete a secure install, or the hackers just read much more than I do.
I guess I'm still popular, in very negative way.

SO, I'm always looking for a quick and easy gentoo install method/medium. CloverOS (cloveros.ga) use to work well. Then quite a few releases (through the decemeber 2019) failed in one way or another. I have not tried the latest release, so I'm about to give it a spin, just for fun. I offer this, hoping that all have gone through a few installs, via the handbook, but putting together your own streamlined install system,
is a pita to figure-out and get reasonable stable.

I've been using gentoo since 2003. A quick, supported install is a pet-peeve for me; to each his own. I've burned up some HD and cpus, and ram trying to bring old gentoo installs up to date; although most made it fine, despite tons of hours.

I hope this helps you. Installing gentoo is a religious experience, once you diverge from the handbook; ymmv.

Perhaps one day, I'll be able to afford a 7nm and tons of ram system, so the heavy compiling can be complete therein and moved to a target, just like most embedded systems installs are these days.

hth,
James