I recently installed a new server, and noticed that it is using /var/cache/distfiles rather than /usr/portage/distfiles. looking at the documentation, it seems that is the new default, and it says "new installations" will use it. I have older servers which are still using /usr/portage/distfiles. None of them have DISTDIR configured, so I am curious how portage is deciding between "old" and new"? If I wanted to migrate my older boxes to the new location without explicitly setting DISTDIR on them, what do I need to change?

Thanks…