On 2/27/20 2:51 PM, Ralph Seichter wrote:
* ai...@aisha.cc:

I'm not too sure that running it as a mail server is impossible.

I never wrote that it is impossible, only that "I would not use it as an
Internet-facing production Mailserver". That's a huge difference. You
are free to do as you wish, but I still consider it an unsuitable role
for a wee Rasberry Pi, considering the I/O load I see on our production
mail servers. SD-Cards really don't like this sort of thing.

-Ralph

Yea, I was not clear. I'd run the mail-server, on a 'cluster' (4 or more), not an individual pi-board unless it was beef up, processor and ram wise. Gig E would also be on my list.

There are also embedded boards, that can run gentoo, with up to 16 Gigs of DDR4 ram and better internal hardware for threads and such.....

I certainly, did not mean to offend you, so apologies galore. I'm not into running a mail server for more than a dozen folks and an ity-bity company of just one....

SD card? I'd find an embedded-board that runs (8Gbyte)DDR4 ram, so writes to the storage is very fast. It's a bit too detailed to look at the plethora of hardware available, that one can get for embedded projects and the matching (sensitive) price points. No need to go there (its a morass).

thanks,
James