On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 2:28 PM Manuel McLure <man...@mclure.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 11:09 AM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 2020-03-09, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Would that be the consensus of the group here?
>
> My understanding is that AMD is currently leading both in raw performance as
> well as bang-for-buck.

That is generally my understanding as well, at least for
desktop/server situations when you're buying parts.

For a laptop you really have to look at the whole package.  Raw CPU
perf-per-dollar is often not the biggest concern with a laptop.  As
long as it meets your performance specs you're mostly going to be
worried about form, battery, and so on.  So, I really wouldn't obsess
over AMD vs Intel.

I have been buying all AMD lately for my regular hosts and do my own
builds.  My only recent laptop is a combo form that runs Intel,
because it was the form I wanted (Acer Switch running Win10 and a
bunch of Win-specific software).  You're probably going to find more
Intel options in this space in any case.

--
Rich