On 3/16/20 3:47 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 12:51:06 -0500, Dutch Ingraham wrote:

Hi all.  I'm having a problem with os-prober not finding other linux
partitions.

I'm on x86_64 and an old spinning drive with an msdos partition table
and 4 primary partitions, 3 linux and 1 swap.

os-prober runs successfully as per bash's return code, but no partitions
are found.

os-prober scans for non-Linux operating systems. /etc/grub.d/10_linux is
the script responsible for finding Linux installations.

That is not my understanding.  From [1], "10_linux identifies kernels on
the root device for the operating system in use and creates menu entries
for these items."  I take this to mean 10_linux is the script
responsible for identifying the currently booted system (i.e., the "root
device."

Also from [1], with emphasis added "30_os-prober this script uses
**os-prober to search for Linux** and other operating systems and places
the results in the GRUB 2 menu.

A review of the scripts 10_linux and 30_os-prober supplied by Gentoo
with the grub and os-prober packages seems to confirm the Ubuntu
documentation's accuracy.

Regardless of which script is responsible, the problem remains that
running 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' under the circumstances
outlined in my original post should find the other Linux operating
systems, but doesn't.

[1]  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup