Hello,

SSDs are a common replacement for HDs nowaday -- but I still trust my
HDs more than this "flashy" things...call me retro or oldschool, but
it my current "Bauchgefühl" (gut feeling).

The days of shitty JMicron stuff and OCZ drives dropping like flies are long gone... you are not going to encounter write endurance problems with a modern SSD from a reputable brand and any kind of reasonable workload. Stay clear from QLC drives and you'll be fine.

I have a laptop with a 256GB Plextor M5M SSD installed in 2014. I dual boot Gentoo and Windows, and in addition to the normal stuff, on the Gentoo side I do a couple of world updates per week -- which with a full KDE desktop involves quite a bit of compiling and writing around.

The SSD is currently reporting 98% of its rated life left: I feel quite confident it's going to outlast the laptop's useful life.

That's not a single datapoint; every system I have around has used an SSD as a primary disk for years now, and I've yet to see one fail or develop any kind of corruption issue. In the same timespan I've had a fair number of HDD failures.

The HD will contain the whole system including the complete root
filesustem. Updateing, installing via Gentoo tools will run using
the HD. If that process has ended, I will rsync the HD based root
fileystem to the SSD. > Folders, which will be written to by the sustem while
running will
be symlinked to the HD.

This should work...?

It will probably work, if you hack at it long enough :D

But seriously, what's the point? Setting up a patchwork of a filesystem like that and maintaining it in time is going to be a complexity and reliability nightmare: if you're going to those lengths because you don't trust SSDs, why have an SSD at all?

andrea