On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 06:59:53AM +0100, tu...@posteo.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currentlu I am setting up a new PC for my 12-years old one,
> which has reached the limits of its "computational power" :)
>
> SSDs are a common replacement for HDs nowaday -- but I still trust my
> HDs more than this "flashy" things...call me retro or oldschool, but
> it my current "Bauchgefühl" (gut feeling).
>
> To reduce write cycles to the SSD, which are quite a lot when using
> UNIX/Limux (logging etc) and especially GENTOO (compiling sources
> instead of using binary packages -- which is GOOD!), I am planning
> the following setup:
>
> The sustem will boot from SSD.
>
> The HD will contain the whole system including the complete root
> filesustem. Updateing, installing via Gentoo tools will run using
> the HD. If that process has ended, I will rsync the HD based root
> fileystem to the SSD.
>
> Folders, which will be written to by the sustem while running will
> be symlinked to the HD.
>
> This should work...?
>
> Or is there another idea to setup a system which will benefit from
> the advantages of a SSD by avoiding its disadvantages?

I use tmpfs to reduce compilation writes [1].

tmpfs           /var/tmp/portage/ tmpfs
uid=portage,gid=portage,mode=0775,size=2G,noatime       0 0
tmpfs           /tmp/                                   tmpfs
mode=0777,size=1G,noexec,nosuid,noatime   0       0

2G is usually enough for most of packages.

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs

Petr