On 2020-03-20 10:10, Alarig Le Lay wrote:

> > Assuming it's /usr/lib/portage/python3.6/ebuild-helpers/dobin, mine
> > contains as the last significant chunk the following:
> >
> > for x in "$@" ; do
> >         if [[ -e ${x} ]] ; then
> >                 install -m0755 -o ${PORTAGE_INST_UID:-0} -g
> > ${PORTAGE_INST_GID:-0} "${x}" "${ED%/}/${_E_DESTTREE_#/}/bin"
> >         else
> >                 echo "!!! ${0##*/}: $x does not exist" 1>&2
> >                 false
> >         fi
> >         ((ret|=$?))
> > done
> >
> > so it is indeed trying to set the owner to root.  Maybe if I set
> > PORTAGE_INST_{UID,GID} to my own it will not really try to change
> > them.  Are you saying you didn't have to do that?  Does your version
> > of the script contain the above code?
>
> Hi I have this chunk of code, but I never had to specify my UID or GID
> by hand.
>
> Do you have hardening or something like that?

No.  Here is my make.conf:

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
COMMON_FLAGS="-O2 -march=k8 -mtune=barcelona --param l1-cache-size=64
 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=512"
CFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
CXXFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
FCFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
FFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"

# NOTE: This stage was built with the bindist Use flag enabled
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/tmp"

# This sets the language of build output to English.
# Please keep this setting intact when reporting bugs.
LC_MESSAGES=C

# Added stuff
MAKEOPTS="-j5 -l4"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/
 http://mirror.sjc02.svwh.net/gentoo/
 http://gentoo.cs.utah.edu/ http://gentoo.gossamerhost.com/";
ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel usb-audio ctxfi"
VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev radeon vesa"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc"
NOCOLOR="true"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="-qv --autounmask n --with-bdeps y --nospinner
 --quiet-unmerge-warn --load-average=4"
EBEEP_IGNORE="true"
FEATURES="collision-protect notitles splitdebug"
USE="acl alsa amd64 ao audiofile berkdb bzip2 cairo cli crypt cxx dbus
 dri exif expat ffmpeg fftw flac fontconfig fortran gd gdbm gmp graphviz
 gsl gtk gpg guile hdf5 iconv icu idn ipv6 jpeg json libsamplerate latex
 lcms lensfun lm_sensors lzma lzo libtirpc mad mmap mp3 multilib ncurses
 nls nptl ogg openexr opengl openmp opus pam pcre pdf png postscript
 readline seccomp socks5 sound sqlite ssl svg tcpd tiff tk truetype udev
 unicode vorbis webp yaml X xattr xcb xft xml xmp xpm wxwidgets zip zlib
 -cups -emacs -filecaps -introspection -java -libav -lv2 -sasl -smartcard -vala"
LLVM_TARGETS="X86 AMDGPU"
L10N="en en-GB en-US es es-ES es-MX cs"
CPU_FLAGS_X86="3dnow 3dnowext mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4a"

BTW, I have so far resisted enabling cgroups in the kernel.

--
Ian