Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, March 20, 2020 8:18 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 10:16 PM John Covici cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 21:16:10 -0400,
> > Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > > I'm having trouble installing Gentoo in a Virtual Box VM for testing.
> > > It is a x86_64 guest. I selected a hardened profile to test PaX, which
> > > means I selected 18 in 'eselect profile'.
> > > I'm at "Configuring the Linux kernel" in the Handbook
> > > (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel#Alternative:_Using_genkernel).
> > > The part "emerge --ask sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" seems OK and does
> > > not report errors. The genkernel part fails.
> > > The specific error is:
> > > $ LICENSE_ACCEPT="*" emerge --ask --autounmask-write
> > > sys-kernel/genkernel 2>&1 | tee kernel.txt
> > > $ cat kernel.txt
> > >
> > > -   IMPORTANT: 6 config files in '/etc/portage' need updating.
> > >     Calculating dependencies * See the CONFIGURATION FILES and
> > >     CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
> > >
> > > -   sections of the emerge man page to learn how to update config files.
> > >     ... done!
> > >     [ebuild N ] app-arch/cpio-2.12-r1 USE="nls"
> > >     [ebuild N ] sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20200316
> > >     USE="redistributable -initramfs -savedconfig (-unknown-license)"
> > >     [ebuild N ] sys-kernel/genkernel-4.0.4 USE="firmware (-ibm)"
> > >

> > > The following license changes are necessary to proceed:
> > > (see "package.license" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
> > >
> > > required by sys-kernel/genkernel-4.0.4::gentoo[firmware]
> > >
> > > =========================================================
> > >
> > > required by genkernel (argument)
> > >
> > > =================================
> > >
> > > =sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20200316 linux-fw-redistributable
> > > no-source-code
> > > Autounmask changes successfully written.
> > >
> > > -   IMPORTANT: 7 config files in '/etc/portage' need updating.
> > > -   See the CONFIGURATION FILES and CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
> > > -   sections of the emerge man page to learn how to update config
> > >     files.Here is the
> > >

> > > Here is the portage(5) man page:
> > > https://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/portage.5.html. Here
> > > is the part about package.license:
> > >
> > >     This will allow ACCEPT_LICENSE (see make.conf(5)) to be augmented
> > >

> > > for a single package.
> > >
> > >     Format:
> > >
> > >         - comment lines begin with # (no inline comments)
> > >         - one DEPEND atom per line followed by additional licenses or
> > > groups
> > >

> > > Removing LICENSE_ACCEPT="*" and --autounmask-write does not help.
> > > The information provided in portage(5) and package.license leaves a
> > > lot to be desired.
> > > What is the problem and how do I fix it?
> >
> > Well, you need to change your config files as portage asked you to do
> > before proceeding. There are several utilities to do that, I use
> > etc-update, but there are several others.
>
> Thanks John.
>
> The Handbook does not say to make any configuration changes. That
> [...]

The manual is a starting point, not a step by step guide that tells you enough
by itself.  You have to pay attention to what your' system is telling you and
look up the things you don't understand.  A lack of configuration of many files
will doom later steps.  For example, if you lack substantial shell experience,
and even if you don't you will have to learn new things, on your' own or with
some help from the list.  If you just do the basic things in the manual, you
won't get anywhere.  It's more of an outline with some steps well documented,
some over documented, and some not documented properly unless you are smart
enough too look up error messages and do what is required.  Most if not all the
info is on the gentoo site, but it's your' job to find it.  It's a learning
experience,  not a complete and detailed set of instructions.  Part of this is
because you have options, you have to chose how some things will be done and
investigate.  I strongly recommend using a "tee" etc. to dump everything into
text files you can skim.  Often compiling will produce specific suggestions
that won't be on the last page of text that scrowls by, you have to read ALL of
the output from each step, and learn enough to have some understanding of why
and how which will require research on the gentoo site, and often other sites.
You have to modify the "USE" files for each application, as your' machine will
tell you, that's actually the easy part.  The hard part involves dealing with
issues you don't understand yet.  You have to learn, you have to try and want
to learn, and you have to pay attention to what your' computer etc. is trying
to tell you.  It's not as trivial as the manual may imply at first.  The people
who wrote the various support materials are usually very experienced, that make
it hard to anticipate everything someone less experienced may need to be told.
Think about rebuilding an engine, for a highly experienced mechanic it's easy
and obvious, to  someone less experienced it requires real thought and learning
many things you don't already have burned into your' brain from years of
experience.  Fully supporting the less experienced (like myself frankly) is
always challenging, because when you learn you won't remember everything to
tell someone else in advance, it will be interactive by it's very nature.
Understanding some concepts may be easy for one person, but difficult for
another, and it will vary from person to person, brains are not identical.