On Sunday, 22 March 2020 03:00:51 GMT William Kenworthy wrote:
> On 22/3/20 2:29 am, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
> > Dale,
> >
> > On Saturday, 2020-03-21 13:01:01 -0500, you wrote:
> >>
> >>                                                          Thing is, if I
> >>
> >> give it to someone who uses windoze, can they just put in the password
> >> and open it or does it have to be on the original system?
> >
> > They just have VeraCrypt to be installed and they have to know the cred-
> > entials, which may be a password and/or a certain file on each system.
> >
> >>                                           Basically, I'd like to transfer
> >>
> >> files from one system to another but it be encrypted while in transit.
> >> I use Linux, they use windoze tho.  That make sense?
> >
> > I do exactly that:  transfering files  from Gentoo to Windows  and back.
> > And if anybody else would try to read the USB stick they would only find
> > white noise on it.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> >    Rainer
>
> Good point - securestick leaves the "structure" of directories visible
> on the standard exfat FS but encrypts the files in place. My view is its
> "good enough" for my purposes and while veracrypt is better - it wont
> work in my use case.
>

> BillK

I'd like to add the "good enough" encryption requirement Bill mentions here,
appropriate to a particular use case should be understood for what it is.  A
relative measure of security and retention of privacy.  Many hardware and
software data encryption schemes offer only a relative level of security and
are not strong enough to trust them with your life.  Convoluted methods using
browsers and what not open additional side-channel attack opportunities and
increase exposure.  Software solutions which work today, may stop working
tomorrow on the next release of MSWindows OS.  Many hardware solutions
promising built-in encryption, well ... they are not to be trusted:

https://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP2019/papers/310.pdf

Many of these methods are weak for a determined and technically capable
attacker, but they are perfectly adequate stopping the general public from
accessing your data.