On 2020-04-05 19:45, Ashley Dixon wrote:

> > Why does portage insist on installing busybox for me?
>
> BusyBox is just a minimal set of utilities which would be useful for
> rescuing a system, or to be used on an embedded system with extreme
> limitations. There's not really any reason to remove this, but if you
> insist...

As for rescue scenarios, that has been obsolete for a long time.  For at
least 10 years now, whenever I need to rescue myself I boot from a
separate medium that is normally offline, a CD, an SD card or a thumb
drive.  And I did the same even when I had an initramfs.

And this is a desktop.  BTW, I'm curious - are there really embedded
systems, especially ones with extreme limitations, running gentoo?

> Read more about profiles at [1]; a guide to making custom profiles can
> be found as a subsection.

Indeed, profiles are a big hole in my gentoo knowledge.  Thanks for the
pointer.

> If you really don't want to have Portage install BusyBox, see the
> --exclude option of emerge. But again, there's really no need to
> remove BusyBox unless you're _very_ short on disk space.

The true reason I want to avoid it is that portage keeps spamming me
about the configuration - handled by saveconfig or something.  It
happens every time it is rebuild and I don't know how to stop it.

BTW, I found why app-editor/nano is different.  It is not part of the
profile set itself, it is just that it happens to satisfy virtual/editor
which is in the profile set.

virtuals are another area which I need to study, sigh

--
Ian