On 2020-04-14 21:36, Jorge Almeida wrote:

> Yes, that seems right. I just added "-elogind" to make.conf and that's
> it. But I'm really curious about the framebuffer stuff. As for other
> stuff (mounting USB, etc), doing it by hand it's fine.

One possible implication is that without one of these mystery packages,
you need the Xorg binary to be setuid root, and with them, you don't.
Just a hypothesis: I don't use either elogind or ConsoleKit, and my Xorg
is setuid root. :-(

This also links back to my last question about firefox.  It turned out
that the rare and random crashes stopped when I shifted from allowing X
to start on the first unused tty (which is the default) to starting it
on the tty where I'm already logged in.  I'm thinking this is somehow
related to my user id and permissions on the tty.  Possibly with one of
the login managers it is not an issue.

--
Ian