On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 04:44:10AM -0500, Dale wrote:
> You ever think that developers may have to do things us users don't?

Oh... Dale, that was a joke ;-).

> All we do is use portage/emerge to update our systems.  They have to
> write or update ebuilds, test them, push them to the tree and then test
> them some more.  They also have to try to make sure the code it creates
> works.  All of that takes a lot of time and effort.  Things we don't see.

You tell obvious things. I talk not about that. Forget it.

> If you do a emerge -ea world, you will see changes that emerge -uaDN
> world won't because it considers every package on the system.  When you
> do emerge -uaDN world, it only looks for changes/updates to the world
> file and what they depend on but only to a point.  There is a huge
> difference.
>
> Run them both and observe the difference.  For a dev, that difference
> can reveal something important.

I understand that. But in the context of our conversation(static vs dynamic
linking), if i understand correctly portage, "emerge -e @world" rebuild all
static-linked packages and all dynamic-linked packages. It simply rebuild
*all* packages in any case, right? So, there is no difference between
calling "emerge -e @world" against dynamic-linked packages or static-linked
packages. Thus, i can't understand why we talk about "emerge -e" at all.
May be i understand something wrong.

--
Олег Неманов (Oleg Nemanov)