Michael Shaw wrote:

Hi all,

I’m new to Gentoo (and relatively new to Linux in general). I’m running it in VMWare as I evaluate systems to ultimately replace Windows. I really like the speed of Gentoo and think the portage system is excellent.

Yesterday I emerged gnome-light and am able to startx as root, but not as a normal user. This seems like a permissions problem to me. However, I have not found anything on Google to point me in the write direction.

Please find attached my X11 start up log from my regular user account. Hopefully someone can help.

(**) Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/mouse
    No such file or directory.
(EE) Mouse0: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse0"

Here is the problem.  This path should probably be /dev/input/mice

-Richard