On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 2:43 AM Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

> Morning all,
>
> The motherboard sound chip failed, so I bought a USB sound adapter [1].
> Problem: no sound: firefox says it isn't working and KDE sounds don't
'appear'.
> I have all the likely-looking options set in the kernel (5.4.28), modules
> where possible. I've read the Gentoo wiki articles on USB and audio, but
they
> didn't offer any help.
<SNIP>
> # aplay -l
> card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: Generic Digital [Generic Digital]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 2: Device [USB Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> # arecord -l
> **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
> card 1: USB [HD Webcam USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
> snd_seq_device         16384  1 snd_rawmidi
> mc                     40960  4
videodev,snd_usb_audio,videobuf2_v4l2,videobuf2_common
> snd_hda_codec_generic    77824  1
> snd_hda_intel          28672  0
> snd_intel_nhlt         16384  1 snd_hda_intel
> snd_hda_codec         122880  2 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel
> snd_hda_core           73728  3
snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
> snd_pcm                98304  4
snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core
> snd_timer              32768  1 snd_pcm
> snd                    81920  10
snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_seq_device,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_i>
> soundcore              16384  1 snd
>
> Why those Intel modules? The built-in Intel device is switched off in the
BIOS.

Because your video card probably makes sound available to send to your TV
over HDMI and it uses the Intel driver, or because the BIOS switch wasn't
honored by the kernel.

> 1.  The device is a 'Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter'; The
blurb at amazon.co.uk includes Linux in its list of OSes. I bought it via
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=usb+sound&qid=1588065420&sr=8-3

Please provide the output of

ls /proc/asound
cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/modules

1) First, if you really don't want the intel stuff loaded then either don't
build it in your kernel or (easier - it's what I do) just blacklist the
intel sound driver. The following link has some instructions which explain
the process.

https://www.techtimejourney.net/how-to-blacklist-a-sound-card-in-linux/

Restart Alsa and double check the cards and modules shown in /proc/asound.

2) As you are on KDE you likely have pulseaudio running. Run pavucontrol,
run Firefox with some audio and see where you are sending Firefox audio.

3) You probably don't have to mess with Alsa configuration itself to fix
this so keep it simple for now. We can go there later if need be.

Mark