On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:19 AM Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.bela...@st.com>
wrote:

> I often have the kids working on my main ~amd64 PC (XFCE, OpenRC,
> -consolekit) while I ssh into it doing some maintenance from an old PC.
> Often they shut it down without telling me first, so I loose part of my
> stuff. Is there a way to tell XFCE/elogind/PAM/lightdm/whoever to not allow
> shutdown from a regular user while another user is logged in? I understand
> that logind/systemd provides the system-inhibit [1] user command just for
> that, but I don’t find the analogous for OpenRC/elogind.
>

> Basically I’d like that:
>
> - if there is more than one user logged in, either locally via lighdm or
> remotely via SSH, the shutdown XFCE button is grayed out. Once all users
> except one have logged out, the button is again available
>
> - from the ssh shell the command would be always available (root or normal
> user, I don’t care)
>
> - permanently disabling the shutdown for the kids is not optimal, they
> should be able to stop the machine if he/she is the only user
>

> Thanks,
>

> raffaele
>

> [1] https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-inhibit.html

What's to stop them from shutdown via the physical power button? I know
that's almost always how I shut down a computer, and I tend not to even
think of using the menu.

As for how to inhibit, you'll probably need to combine something that reads
the currently active user sessions, with a patch to the XFCE menu to use
that information.