On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 11:43 AM Steve Evans <gentoo-u...@gorbag.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 May 2020 09:34:56 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>
> > QUESTION: I'm curious as to whether your Gentoo and my Kubuntu
> > systemsettings are more similar. Did adding the pulseaudio flag
> > create the Sound->Multimedia section with an 'Audio volume' area? If
> > so that area, if working like mine, would show where you can send
> > sound, allow you to enable/disable individual devices and set
> > relative volumes, etc. Also, did it build pavucontrol or some version
> > of it? If so that app is almost identical to my Multimedia section
> > but adds VU meters so you can watch multiple apps generating audio,
> > etc. I find it helpful when things don't go exactly as I expected.
> >

> On my Gentoo system the KDE System Settings->Multimedia used to have
> the device priority section, but no longer does. However a search found
> another application called "Phonon Audio and Video" which displays the
> device priority. So maybe it has been moved from the System Settings in
> a recent version of KDE. This is with Plasma version 5.17.5.
>
> Further investigation reveals that Kmix has an option "Audio Setup..."
> that does nothing, but examining xorg-session.log it outputs the error
>
>    Could not find module 'kcm_phonon'. See kcmshell5 --list for the
>    full list of modules.
>
> which suggests a bug where either kcm_phonon should exist or kmix
> should not use it.
>
> Steve

I guess I'd better get ready for some changes then. My desktop is Kubuntu
19.10, the laptop is Kubuntu 18.04 LTS. They both have the 3 tabs (device,
applications, advanced) which I'm very used to. There's a new Kubuntu 20.??
LTS out but I'm giving it a few weeks before I upgrade. It will be
interesting (to me anyway) as to whether this is a KDE driven arrangement
or possibly chosen by the distro. I'll report back when I know. Assuming
pavucontrol doesn't disappear we still have that.

Still love Gentoo and would certainly consider running it again if I was to
buy a new PC but on my older machines it was just too much time trying to
keep up with packages changing every day. After maybe 14-15 years I ran out
of energy doing this on 4 machines at home. Binary-stable distros have
their place.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Mark