On 03/05/2020 21:07, Rich Freeman wrote:
I don't think you should focus so much on whether read=write in your
RAID.  I'd focus more on whether read and write both meet your
requirements.

If you think about it, it's obvious that raid-1 will read faster than it writes - it has to write two copies while it only reads one.

Likewise, raids 5 and 6 will be slower writing than reading - for a normal read it only reads the data disks, but when writing it has to write (and calculate!) parity as well.

A raid 1 should read data faster than a lone disk. A raid 5 or 6 should read noticeably faster because it's reading across more than one disk.

If you're worried about write speeds, add a cache.

Cheers,
Wol